28 Grecinieku Street
Riga, Latvia
(+371) 29122331
info@hotelgardenpalace.lv

MAP

Highslide JS

Freedom Monument
Latvian National Opera
Museum of the Occupation of Latvia
Great Guild
Small Guild
House of Blackheads
Powder Tower
Riga Central Market
Riga Cathedral
Riga city exhibition hall Riga Art Space
Riga Castle
Town Hall
St. Peter’s Church
Three Brothers
Swedish Gate

Freedom Monument
The Freedom Monument, built in the centre of Riga, is a tribute to the soldiers fallen during the Latvian War of Independence (1918-1920). It is considered an important symbol of freedom, independence and sovereignty of Latvia. Opened in 1935, the 42-metre high monument is built of granite, travertine and copper. The monument often serves as the focal point of official ceremonies.

 

Latvian National Opera
The origins of opera traditions in Latvia may be traced back to 18th century. No 19th century German, Italian, French and Russian opera is left unstaged. Latvian National Opera is famous also for its ballet troupe. Among its soloists are such world-renowned ballet stars as Mikhail Baryshnikov, Māris Liepa and Alexander Godunov.

 

Museum of the Occupation of Latvia
The objective of the Museum of Occupation of Latvia is to show the life of the people of Latvia during foreign occupation. The objects exhibited on the museum’s display testify about the subjugation that lasted for more than 50 years: about political power, terror, collapse of Latvian economy, totalitarian ideology, Latvian resistance to the regime and the re-establishment of Latvian independence in 1991.

 

Great Guild
The Great Guild was established in 1354 as a merchant organisation. The building features the oldest hall in Riga – the Munster Hall – that was built in 14th century. Meanwhile, the Bride’s Chamber (Fireplace Hall) back in the 17th century was covered by a star decorated vault. At the moment the Great Guild is the home of Latvian National Symphony Orchestra.

 

Small Guild
The Small Guild in Riga was established in the middle of 14th century. The patron saint of the guild was John the Baptist and its ultimate purpose was to bring together Rigensian craftsmen. Although the first abode of the Small Guild was built around the time of its foundation, its current building designed by John Daniel Felsko in English Neo-Gothic style dates back to 19th century. In 2000 the building underwent renovation and restoration.

 

House of Blackheads
The House of Blackheads in Riga Old Town was built in 14th century as a venue for public gatherings. Later on the ownership was assumed by the Association of Blackheads the patron of which is St Mauritius. The silver collection belonging to the House of Blackheads once was among the largest in the world. The building was destroyed in 1941 and rebuilt in 1999.

 

Powder Tower
Powder Tower is an architectural monument of national importance. In 1330 it was referred to as Sand Tower. Over the course of time, Powder Tower has been restored several times acquiring its current form in 17th century. Since 1919 the tower hosts the Latvian War Museum.

 

Riga Central Market
Riga Central Market is located behind Riga Central Train Station. It was inaugurated in 1930. The market featured dairy, meat, grocery and fish pavilions where one could taste the produce and negotiate the price. Today Riga Central Market is one of the largest in Europe, well known for its Zeppelin hangars. In 1998 the territory of the market was included on the UNESCO World Heritage list.

 

Riga Cathedral
The foundation stone of Riga Cathedral was laid in 1211. While its architecture combines various styles, the whole complex forms a harmonic ensemble. Riga Cathedral serves the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia and is one of the biggest cathedrals in the Baltic States. The organ of the cathedral has 124 stops and more than 6700 pipes.

 

Riga city exhibition hall Riga Art Space
Riga Art Space is a multifunctional contemporary art venue that is located underground beneath the Riga City Council building. Riga Art Space not only represents contemporary visual art, but also produces world-class art projects.

 

Riga Castle
Riga Castle was built in 1330 as the residence of Livonian Order. The castle has been ruined and renovated on several occasions, therefore over the course of time it has lost its original features. Nowadays Riga Castle is the residence of the President of Latvia and hosts National History Museum of Latvia and Museum of Foreign Art.

 

Town Hall
Riga Town Hall is one of the main buildings at the Town Hall Square. Having been destroyed during World War II, it was restored in 2003. Under the Town Hall building one can find a cobble-stone street with souvenir and flower shops, a huge waterfall and ancient tree stubs.

 

St. Peter’s Church
St. Peter’s Church was constructed in 13th century. It is one of the oldest medieval churches in the Baltic States. During World War II the church was burnt down and restored only in 1973. The tower of St. Peter’s Church is 123.25 meters high and offers a splendid view to the city panorama.

 

Three Brothers
Three Brothers – a residential building complex – is located in the Old Town at 17 Mazā Pils iela. These are the oldest residential buildings in Riga. The complex has a step-type pediment with a Gothic niche, while the stone portals in the interior yard contain the oldest coat of arms of Riga.

 

Swedish Gate
Swedish Gate was constructed in 1698 as part of the fortification wall of Riga to link the buildings lying behind the wall with the inner city. Most of the fortification wall was destroyed in the beginning of 19th century to improve traffic communication in the economically thriving city. Swedish Gate is the only fortification gate to survive until nowadays.